The Personnel and Employee Relations Department purpose is to:
- Promote the purposes and goals established in the League of California Cities bylaws;
- Serve as a resource to the membership of the department and other departments of the League in their dealings with human resource, personnel and employee relations issues;
- Assist in the sponsoring and support of necessary and desirable legislation to benefit municipalities, and to assist in opposing unfavorable legislation; and
- Provide a unifying structure for human resource administrators to contribute to the purposes of the League of California Cities.
The major activities of the Personnel and Employee Relations Department include:
- Providing networking opportunities
- Fostering professional development for human resource professionals in the public sector through a variety of training opportunities and services.
- Serving as a technical and advisory resource to the League through appointed policy committee representatives
2018-2019 Department Executive Officers
President - LaTanya Bellow, City of South San Francisco, Director of Human Resources
1st Vice President - Lucy Garcia, City of Rialto, Director of Human Resources and Risk Management
2nd Vice President - Lisa Murphy, City of Santa Cruz, Director of Human Resources
Department Director* -George Harris, Deputy City Manager, City of Victorville
Past President - Donna Peter, City of Santa Monica, Human Resources Manager
*Department Director serves for a two-year term.
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of the League’s standing eight committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
Visit the League’s Policy Development page to view upcoming meeting information, listed committees, and meeting agendas.
2018 Policy Committee Representatives
Community Services – Suakri Beshears, Director of Human Resources, Brentwood
Environmental Quality – June Overholt, Finance Director, Glendora
Governance, Transparency and Labor Relations – Debra Gill, HR Director and Labor Relations, Pleasanton
Housing, Community & Economic Development – LaTanya Bellow, HR Director, South San Francisco
Public Safety – Donna Peter, HR Director, Santa Monica
Revenue & Taxation – Vacant
Transportation, Communication & Public Works – Hernan Molina, Senior Management Analyst, West Hollywood
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.