The purpose of the Public Works Officers Department is to:
- To promote the purposes and goals in the League of California Cities Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.
- To serve as a technical and advisory department to the League of California Cities including participation on League Policy Committees through the analysis and development of position recommendations on pending legislation and proposed regulatory guidelines.
- To foster the professional and personal development of its members.
- To support the exchange of ideas with the County Engineers Association of California, California Department of Transportation, and other agency/industry representatives through the promotion and conduct of conferences, seminars, and related training methods.
- Advance the interest of cities by helping to develop, shape, and improve legislation and policies established that regulate the funding, development, construction, and maintenance of public infrastructure.
- Advance the interest of cities through the active participation on federal, state, and local committees and advisory boards.
2017-2018 Department Officers
President – Jay Walter, Public Works Director, City of San Carlos
First Vice President – Charles Herbertson, Public Works Director, City of Culver City
Second Vice President – Morad Fakhrai, Public Works Director, City of Hayward
Immediate Past President – Jay Spurgin, Public Works Director, City of Thousand Oaks
Department Director* – Randy Breault, Public Works Director / City Engineer, City of Brisbane
*Terms are for one year, ending in September, except the director who serves a two-year term.
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of the League’s standing eight committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
Visit the League’s Policy Development webpage to view upcoming meeting information, listed committees, and meeting agendas.
2017-18 Policy Committee Representatives
Community Services – Brad Underwood, Director of Public Works, San Mateo
Environmental Quality – Daryl Grigsby, Director of Public Works, San Luis Obispo
Governance, Transparency and Labor Relations – Jay Walter, Director of Public Works, San Carlos
Housing, Community & Economic Development – Morad Fakhrai, Director of Public Works, Hayward
Public Safety – Michael Throne, Director of Public Works, Rancho Palos Verdes
Revenue & Taxation – Mark Sambito, Director of Public Works, Rancho Mirage
Transportation, Communication & Public Works – Charles Hebertson, Director of Public Works, Culver City
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.
This committee was formed as an advisory body and comprises of city, county, state and federal officials who gather to discuss local, state, and federal problems and/or issues representing areas of statewide significance.