League Strategic Goal on Housing
One of the four stratgic goals for 2017 adopted by the League's board of directors and other organization leaders focuses on housing afforrdability. This goal shapes how the League engages on housing legislation and other policy proposals.
- Improve the Affordability of Workforce Housing and Secure Additional Funds for Affordable Housing. Increase state and federal financial support, reduce regulatory barriers, and provide additional incentives and local financial tools to address the affordability of workforce housing and increase the availability of affordable housing.
League Supported Bills
In the News
- Op-Ed by Carolyn Coleman: Local governments can create blueprint for more housing, The Sacramento Bee. Feb. 20, 2017
- Governor Brown to City Governments: It’s on you to make California affordable again, StreetsBlogCal, Jan. 12, 2017
- Cities in need of state help on housing issues, op-ed by League President and Lodi City Council Member JoAnne Mounce, The Stockton Record, Jan. 5, 2017
- 2017-18 Legislature Sworn In, Senate Introduces Package of Infrastructure and Housing Bills, CA Cities Advocate, Dec. 9, 2016
- Sens. Atkins and Beall Introduce Key Affordable Housing Legislation, CA Cities Advocate, Dec. 9, 2016
Recent Reports that Focus on Local Government Permitting and Approval Process
- Draft 2025 Housing Assessment: “California’s Housing Future: Challenges and Opportunities.”
- Housing, Land Use and Development White Paper: Understanding and Challenging Opposition to Housing Construction in California’s Urban Areas, Paavo Monkkoen, associate professor, Urban Planning, University of California Los Angeles, Dec. 1, 2016
- McKinsey Report: Closing California's housing gap, October 2016
- Borrowing Innovation, Achieving Affordability: What We Can Learn From Massachusetts Chapter 40B, Terner Center for Housing Innovation, University of California Berkeley, August 2016