This year, Scotts Valley Council Member and League President Stephany Aguilar will be welcoming the delegates for a legislative briefing. The annual event focuses on the organization’s legislative priorities and top bills and is an opportunity for mayors and council members to meet with their legislators face to face in the Capitol.
The opening general session will cover a range of topics including the state budget, economic development tools, transportation funding, affordable housing, water conservation and a very harmful redevelopment proposal that would change the rules on the dissolution process.
Several legislators will attend to brief attendees on various issues, including:
- Sen. Jim Beall (D-San Jose), chair, Senate Transportation Committee, will discuss pending transportation funding proposals.
- Assembly Member Ken Cooley (D-Rancho Cordova), former council member of Rancho Cordova, who once served as the League’s First-Vice President, will discuss progress with AB 266, the medical marijuana measure sponsored by the League and the California Police Chiefs Association.
- Assembly Republican Leader Kristin Olsen (R-Modesto) will outline the priorities of the Assembly Republican Caucus.
League staff has prepared fact sheets with talking points for city officials to use in their meetings with legislators. These will cover:
- Transportation and Public Works
- Economic Development and Redevelopment
- Affordable Housing
- Medical Marijuana
A copy of the agenda and these fact sheets
are available on the League’s website in advance of Legislative Action Day.
There are also two special briefings being offered, one on illegal marijuana grow sites and the other, which is co-sponsored by the League’s Latino Caucus, on economic development, followed by a legislative reception. Some of the events will be held at the Sheraton Grand Hotel with others at the Capitol.
The League appreciates the participation of city officials in this annual event.